Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Misunderstood.

When viewing an artwork it is an automatic instinct to feel something toward it, you either like it or you don't. After paying closer attention, those feelings might be subject to change. Speaking on behalf of myself I can say that once I get to understand an artwork a little better, I begin to appreciate it and disliking it is no longer an option. In some cases though, I can't get a piece of art to stick to me, due to my taste I just do not like the artwork. When visiting the MoMa Ps1 I found three pieces of art that I will discuss here including one that I liked, one that I didn't, and one that I did not understand.

When viewing the "Henry Taylor" exhibit there was a painting entitled "Wegrett". This was the painting I disliked. I did not like that it looked like a logo for brand. I also didn't like the fact that there was a little boy on his knees with dirty feet in front of a woman who looked angry. This painting brought upon me a sense of negativity. In the same room there was a painting in regards to Sean Bell, a black man who was killed. When seeing this painting I thought about a boy asking for forgiveness and although that is not a bad thing, I did not feel it should have been in the same room as the painting of Sean Bell. I guess what makes me dislike this painting is the placement of it.

The exhibit I did like was that of "Janet Cardiff: The Forty Part Motet." This was a room that contained 40 speakers and was playing a 14 minute long 40 track sound recording of "Spem in Alium Nunquam habui" by Thomas Tallis. When in this room you heard a beautiful melodic harmony of artist singing as one. But as the author encouraged walking among the speakers you were able to hear individually each artist that was singing. Out of each speaker you heard a different voice, different words. But when standing in the middle of the room they all sounded as one. It was interesting and beautiful at the same time.

The piece I did not understand was called "chicken burrito, beef burrito." The title alone was quite rare. This piece was an empty room with two speakers hanging on the wall playing music. That is all there was to the piece. The song playing didn't have anything to do with burritos, and there was nothing else in the room. I did not understand the connection, maybe if I would have stayed longer something in the song would relate to the title but as I listened I just could not make a connection.

Art is special in the way that not everyone will say the same thing about specific art works. With art you are able to interpret what you please from the art, but it is crucial to try to understand it from the artist point of view. Even though people may have different opinions on different artworks it is very much possible to appreciate them all.

Henry Taylor
"Wegrett"
Acrylic and collage on linen
2006

Janet Cardiff
"The Forty Part Motet"
40-track sound recording (14:00 minutes), 40 speakers
1957

"chicken burrito, beef burrito"

No comments:

Post a Comment